The Ancestry and Family History of Samuel Herbert BOOTH of Grand Forks ND
















Biographical Insights about
(Cpl) Jonas Glazier BOOTH
(1 Feb 1842 - 6 Jul 1909)

Copyright 2007-2013 by Ancestry Register LLC and Terry J. Booth .
All reproduction or reuse is prohibited, in whole or in part, without written permission of the author and Ancestry Register LLC.

Civil War Veteran

Jonas Glazier Booth was born in 1842 in Napoli, Cattaraugus Co., NY to Reuben Booth and Persis Glazier. His father was born in 1816 in Steubenville, Ontario Co., NY, then moved to Napoli shortly after 1820 where the Waite Family - his mother's family - had also settled. His father being the fourth of eight sons, Reuben moved his family to Marcellus, Cass Co., MI about 1858, no doubt in search of more farmland than Napoli could provide.

The History of Cattaraugus Co. NY notes that Jonas' grandfather, Amasa, was instrumental in establishing a Baptist Church in Napoli, where he served as a Deacon as did one of his sons. One of the early ministers at the church was Jonas Glazier, whose daughter married Jonas' father. It seems almost certain that Jonas was named after his grandfather Jonas.

Not a great deal is known of Jonas' early life, although he would certainly have helped his father on their farm. His father's move to Michigan came when Jonas was about 16, a transitional period in any young man's life in that era. It also came shortly before the Civil War. Jonas joined Company H of the 25th Michigan infantry in August, 1862, and remained until June 1 1865. He was involved in a number of engagements, including Sherman's march, and was wounded in the hip at the Battle of Resacca Creek in Georgia. He later received a pension as a wounded Civil War veteran. Jonas' younger brother, Zavata, also joined the Michigan infantry about the same time, but served in the 11th Michigan Infantry. Jonas and Zavata were apparently quite close, as after the war they both moved to Reynolds and Long Prairie, Minnesota.

After Jonas retruned from the war, he no doubt helped his father on the farm. There he also met his wife, Justina Taylor, whose family had immigrated from England about 1822 and had moved to Marcellus shortly thereafter. Jonas and Justina were married 26 Dec, 1867 in Lawton, Van Buren Co., MI, and shortly thereafter moved to Minnesota.

We are fortunate in that the Long Prairie community took pride in both its veterans and in its early settlers. Jonas' obituary is quite lengthy and describes much of his life.


Jonas Booth Passes Away Tuesday at One O'Clock after Lingering Illness - Was an Old Pioneer to Todd County, Saw Hard Fighting During the Civil War.

The sad news that Jonas G. Booth had died at his home in this village at one o'clock was rapidly spread last Tuesday afternoon.

Although death was not unexpected the news was a shock to the entire community, as Mr. Booth was known to almost every person in the village, children as well as the older people. For the last few years he has gradually failed, having suffered a severe stroke of paralysis from which he never fully recovered. For the past two weeks he has been very low, having suffered another attack of paralysis, which gradually crept over the entire body and the end came as soon as the heart was reached. Since this last attack he has been unable to speak or receive nopurishment. A week ago Tuesday is the last time that he seemed to recognize anyone and this was his sister, Mrs. W. M. Mathews, who arrived from Rockport, Texas. When she entered the room he seemed to recognize who she was and was pleased to see her. The last four days his entire body seemed to be dead, but the paralytic stroke had not reached the heart and lungs and his life hung as if by a thread.

Jonas G. Booth was born in Napoli, Cataroga County, N.Y., February 1st, 1842, removing from there at the age of sixteen years with his parents to Lawton, Michigan, in 1858. He was raised on a farm and followed that occupation up to the time of his enlistment in Company H of the 25th Michigan Infantry in August 1862. Mr. Booth was a good soldier and saw hard service in kentucky and Tennessee, his regiment joining Sherman's Army at the opening of his great campaign to Atlanta May, 1864. At the battle of Resacca, georgia, on May 14th general Judah's division, to which his regiment belonged was thrust forward in advance of the infantry and prematurely assaulted the enemy's works about 12 o'clock in the day. They were terribly punished and repulsed, seeking refuge under the banks of Resacca Creek. The wounded as well as the rest had to lay there under fire and a blistering sun until dark when the wounded and dead were carried off by their comrades. In this engagement Jonas Booth was shot in the hip and forced to remain with the rest until dark. After recovering from this wound, which was not without difficulty, he joined his regiment and fought it out to the end.

His regiment first attained distinction by repulsing the rebel, General Morgan, who was making a dash northward against Louisville. Though outnumbered ten to one, they held the rebels in check till the raiders changed their plans and the city was saved. They were detailed to guard the city and did provost duty for a number of months. They were idle only a short time, however, and were soon started south where they took part in all the campaigns through Tennessee and were with Sherman in the various assaults resulting in the capture of Atlanta. They were sent north with Thomas to fight Hood and took an important part in the battle of Nashville. After Nashville they were sent to North Carolina under Schofield and took part in the movements of that army. He was mustered out June 1st, 1865.

On December 26th he married Justina Taylor, a sister of Charles Taylor, at Lawton, Michigan, moving to Todd County in 1868 and settled on a homestead west of this city, where they resided until 1875, when they removed to Irving, Minn. In 1899 they returned to Todd County and went into the grocery business until his health became poor. Up to about four years ago Col. Booth, as he was best known to his many friends, helped about the post office and carried the mail. Since then he has been unable to work.

To Mr. and Mrs. Booth six children were born, Mrs. Fred Rodman of Eagle Bend, Fred Booth of this village; Ada Booth, who died at the age of four years; Mrs. F. Hannifin, of Broken Arrow, Oklahoma; Sam Booth, of Grand Forks, N.D.; and Miss Lillian Booth, who is still at home.

In the death of Mr. Booth the country loses one more of its old cicil war veterans, the family loses a kind, loving and thoughtful husband and father and the entire community loses a good citizen who always had a pleasant greeting for everyone.

The funeral will be held from the house at 2 o'clock this afternoon and interment made in the cemetery at this place. The Argus joins with the entire community in extending their sincere sympathy to the entire family in their hour of sadness.

[from Todd County Argus, July 8 1909; this obituary kindly provided by dedicated Booth researcher Carol Ross,]

Some 25 years later, the Todd County newspaper ran a series on the early settlers in the county, with Jonas' biography also being included and offering added insight into his life :

In last week's installment of the history of Long Prairie, we gave a sketch of the army and pioneer life of Z. V. Booth, and had space permitted it we should have included the sketch of Jonas G. Booth, an elder brother of Z. V. Booth. Jonas G. Booth was born February 1 1842, in the state of New York and lived there with his parents until 1848, when the family removed to the state of Michigan, where he lived until he went to fight in the Union Army in the Civil War. At the age of 20, he enlisted in Company H, 25th Regiment, Michigan Infantry. This regiment saw hard service during the war and Jonas G. Booth made a fine record as a soldier, though he lacked some of the dramatic incidents experienced by his brother as sketched last week. His regiment saw active service and was sent to several campaign fronts, wherever the need was greatest, and won distinction on many a hard fought field. This body of troops first attracted attention in assisting in the defeat of General Morgan, the Confederate raider. The regiment was sent to defend the city of Louisville against the attacks of this famous raider. Though greatly outnumbered, this body of troops held Louisville until Morgan had to change his plans and abandoned the attack on the city. For some months the troops remained guarding this important point in the supply line between the northern states and the Union armies in the South. When Sherman began his march to take Atlanta, Mr. Booth's regiment was in the movement. In this campaign he was badly wounded in the Battle of Resaca, Georgia, just before Atlanta was taken. In this battle, Resaca, Mr. Booth received a wound which came near ending his active career and while some may have seen some humor in the occurrence afterward, it was serious enough at the time. At the time the bullet struck him he had in his pocket a large piece of tobacco which deflected the projectile slightly from its original course, but it did carry a piece of tobacco deep into the wound. When he was brought to a hospital, the doctors promptly decided that his leg must be amputated, a decision in which Mr. Booth did not concur. He drew his pistol and threatened to shoot anyone who tried to take off his leg. He insisted that the wound be dressed and the doctors revised their diagnosis and dressed the wound. The injury healed and Mr. Booth did many a hard day's work after that.

Sherman went south on his march to the sea, but he sent some troops north to help General Thomas defeat General Hood, who had been sent north to draw Sherman back from his march. At the Battle of Nashville, Thomas completely destroyed Hood's army. This was the last heavy engagement in which Mr. Booth took part. However, he was with Sherman on the march to the sea and after that was sent to North Carolina, under General Scofield, to protect Union interests until the surrender of the Confederates at Appomattox. He was mustered out of the service June 1 1865, and returned to Michigan. Two years later, at Lawton, Michigan, Jonas G. Booth married Miss Justina Taylor and the following year, 1868, came to Minnesota, taking a homestead in the town of Reynolds.

In Reynolds, for several years, he worked clearing up a farm in that heavy, hardwood timber. In Reynolds he had the respect of his neighbors and we find him serving as justice of the peace, court being held in his one room cabin occupied by him and his family.

An account of one of the cases tried in his court, has come down to us through a reminiscence of a man living in the community at that time. A man named Stowe had been assaulted by a man named Ely armed with a sled stake. It appears to have been an aggravated offense and there was much resentment on the part of the other settlers.

However, Ely threatened to kill anyone who should complain to the authorities and this was supposed to have the effect of cooling such resentment. When this state of affairs came to the knowledge of Benjamin Maynard, Sr., the patriarch of the Maynard families, Mr. Maynard hesitated not even for his dinner, but walked to Long Prairie, where he had the authorities issue a warrant for the arrest of Mr. Ely. The arrest was made and a day for the trial was set to be held at the Booth cabin in the Reynolds woods.

As the hour approached for the trial to begin, settlers began to congregate until for a sparsely settled country, there was a very considerable crowd. All the morning Mrs. Booth had been doing the weekly ironing on a board set up in the cabin. As the crowd gathered, she ceased from this work putting away the board and left her flastiron sitting on the stove. The men began to fill the room, many of them squatting on their heels along the wall. Mr. Maynard came in and sat down on his heels near the cook stove and when all was ready, Judge Booth opened court.

Frontier lawyers indulged in some legal sparring for strategical purposes and finally it was agreed to adjourn the trial to a day in the future. The crowd began to disperse and Mrs. Booth thought to resume her ironing, but could not find her flatiron. When Mr. Maynard learned what she was looking for, he said,"I guess I left it on the floor where I was sitting." There they found the iron and Mrs. Booth said "You would not have hit him with that iron, would you?" The old gentleman responded "Well, he would have had a chance; if I had hit him with my fists he wouldn't have had any."

After some years' hard work on his farm, Mr. Booth found that his old wound was making itself felt and he disposed of his farm moving away from the county, and we understand engaging in the operation of a store. In 1889 Mr. Booth returned with his family and settled in Long Prairie, where he opened a grocery store which he carried on until his health prevented. For a number of years he carried the mail between the post office and the depot.

To Mr. and Mrs. Booth were born six children, as follows: Mae, who married Fred Rodman and now resides at Eagle Bend; Ada, who died at the age of four; Fred, who married Blanche Moore and now resides in Long Prairie; Mina, who married Frank P. Hannifin and resides, we believe, in North Dakota; Samuel, who lives in North Dakota; Lillian, who is married and resides in North Dakota.

Mr. Booth passed away at Long Prairie about 25 years ago and Mrs. Booth died about 10 years ago.

[from Todd County Argus, Feb 11 1943; provided by dedicated Booth researcher Carol Ross, :]

Jonas' wife, Justina, survived him by 24 years. She remained in Long Prairie, where several of her children remained, and was very involved in the community until her death :


Well Known Long Prairie Resident Is Laid to Rest in Evergreen Cemetery - Many Attend Rites - Had Lived in This Community More Than 60 Years - Prominently Identified with Church Work

Funeral services were conducted Friday afternoon at the Methodist church in this village, for Mrs. Justina Booth, who passed away Wednesday evening at the home of her daughter in Eagle Bend. Rev. H.W. Bell of Minneapolis, former pastor here, delivered the funeral sermon and was assisted at the services by Rev. George Galbraith of Eagle Bend, and Rev. O.E. Boyce of this village. The last rites were largely attended by scores of people who had known Mrs. Booth, some of them for more than 50 years. Interment was made in Evergreen Cemetery with Wm. M. Wood, C. J. Dempsey, N. C. Clemmensen, C. W. Hart, J. Ludwig Johnson and D. W. Kemerer serving as pallbearers.

Justina Taylor was born in Oleara county, New York, April 14, 1852. At the age of four she went with her parents to Michigan where Mr. and Mrs. Taylor took a homestead in Cass county. On December 26, 1866, she was married to Jonas G. Booth. Mr. Booth was a Civil War veteran who was wounded and had his health considerably impaired as the result of his service to his country.

In 1868, 10 years after Minnesota achieved its statehood, Mr. and Mrs. Booth came to Todd county and took a homestead in Reynolds township. About 1887 they moved to this village, which since that time, with but few interruptions, continued to be the home of Mrs. Booth until her death. Mr. Booth passed away in 1909.

Becoming affiliated with the Methodist church in early childhood, Mrs. Booth found her greatest enjoyment in church work and her devotion to church organizations. For many years she took a prominent part in the local Methodist church work and continued active until a year ago when failing health caused her to relinquish her duties.

Of a charitable disposition, Mrs. Booth continued, up to the time when failing health mad it impossible, to interest herself in charity work and there are countless families who have benefitted by her neighborly kndness and offers of assistance. One of the pioneers in this section of the country, because of her long residence here and her neighborly spirit, Mrs. Booth enjoyed a unique and highly respected place in the community. Her death occasioned widespread regret and the community mourns the passing of a splendid citizen, pioneer and community builder.

Surviving her death are the following children: Mrs. Fred Rodman and Mrs. F. P. Hanifan, of Eagle Bend; Mrs. George F. Kaspar and S. H. Booth, of Grand Forks, also survives. All the children were present at the funeral and also Mrs. Belle Ward, of Crosby; Morton Taylor, of Grand Forks; Mr. and Mrs. Ed Rodman and family of St. Paul, and Boyd Booth of Minneapolis.

[from Long Prairie Leader, June 8 1933; this obituary provided by dedicated Booth researcher Carol Ross,]

Jonas and Justina had six children, two sons and four daughters, one of the daughters dying young. The oldest son Frederick Willis and oldest daughter Orvilla Mae (m. Fred Rodman) remained in Long Prairie. The youngest son and daughter, Samuel Herbast and Lillian Bille (m. George Kaspar) both moved to Grand Forks ND where they lived most of their lives. The last daughter, Armina Myrtle 'Mina' (m. Frank Hannifin) lived much of her life in Long Prairie, but apparently later moved to Broken Bend, Oklahome.


1. Booth Family Archive of Terry and Carol Booth

Website design, architecture and content copyright 2007-2013 by Ancestry Register LLC
This page created on Tue Jul 30 04:47:56 2013